Collect Call rallied in the stretch to win the $109,300 Santa Ysabel Stakes (gr. III) by 1 1/4 lengths over Irguns Angel Saturday at Santa Anita. Alex Solis booted the winner home, the pair crossed the wire after completing 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.69 on a fast track.
Sunday at Fair Grounds
Tampa Bay Downs Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and the track's management reached an agreement on a purses contract on Saturday afternoon, ending the second bitter contract dispute between the two parties in the last two years.
Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Tiznow worked seven furlongs under jockey Chris McCarron at Santa Anita Saturday morning in 1:26 3/5, as the 4-year-old prepares for a possible start in the Jan. 13 San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II).
Associate took advantage of his inside post position, saving ground early before rallying to catch Band Is Passing in the final strides in Saturday's $150,000 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park. Last year's Appleton winner Band Is Passing missed by a neck in his repeat bid, finishing second, a head in front of El Mirasol.
Just Allen, the longest price on the board at 59-1, drew away to a two-length victory in Aqueduct's Saturday feature race, the Count Fleet Stakes. Second wagering choice Personable Pete, a New York-bred half-brother to Gazelle Handicap (gr. I) winner Critical Eye, finished second.
- By Greg Risling
Two Arcadia city council members met with Santa Anita racetrack owner Frank Stronach this past week and shared their concerns about his expansion plans. Although only some specifics about the plan were discussed, Arcadia Mayor Gary Kovacic and Councilman Mickey Segal said the meeting couldn't have gone any better.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Party Boat Upsets Fifty Five in Memories of Silver
- Southern Ring Speeds to Whimsical Victory
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic