Nany's Sweep, a 13-1 long shot ridden by Kent Desormeaux, rallied boldly in the stretch and caught Serenita in the final yards for a one-length victory Saturday in the grade I Santa Monica Handicap for fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park. Nany's Sweep ran seven furlongs in 1:22 2/5 on a fast main track and paid $28.20, $10 and $2.20. Kathy Walsh trains the winner for Budget Stable.
Champion sprinter Kona Cold was among the seven horses entered for Sunday's 49th running of the Palos Verdes Handicap, but was scratched out of the race due to his weight assignment. The 7-year-old gelded son of Java Gold started last year's championship campaign with a win in the Palos Verdes and was assigned top weight of 126 pounds for Sunday's renewal.
The unanimous choice for champion sprinter of 2000 would have faced last year's second- and third-place Palos Verdes finishers -- Big Jag and Freespool, respectively. Big Jag has been assigned 120 pounds and Freespool 116.
- By Steve Haskin
This is a test for The Blood-Horse Internet site. This is just a test that will be removed from the site in approximately 15 minutes. Please disregard this story. It is only a test. This is a test for The Blood-Horse Internet site. This is just a test that will be removed from the site in approximately 15 minutes.
- By Greg Risling
Two men pleaded guilty Friday to breaking into the house of late jockey Chris Antley, who died last month from an accidental drug overdose. Antley's friend, Timothy Tyler Jr., 24, and Jeffrey Robert Jones, 22, pleaded guilty to a reduced misdemeanor charge of trespassing. They were charged with one count of first-degree residential burglary but because no one was living in the house at the time, the felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Finger Lakes Gains State-Bred Incentive for Maidens
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017