Caffe Latte rallied through the stretch down the center of the Del Mar turf course to win Saturday's $400,000 Ramona Handicap (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths over Tout Charmant in stakes record time of 1:47.16, just 2/5 of a second off the course record.
Sunday at Delaware Park
Giant's Causeway dueled with Best of the Bests through the stretch, edged clear of that rival in the final furlong, and held off the late closing Greek Dance to win the ESAT Digifone Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) by a 1/2 length Saturday at Leopardstown, Ireland. The win marks the fifth group I win in succession for Mrs. John Magnier and Micheal Tabor's 3-year-old colt, who completed the 1 1/4 miles in 2:03.1 over good to firm ground.
Despite slow early fractions of :50.94 and 1:16.14, Godolphin Racing's Fantastic Light closed from next-to-last under jockey Jerry Bailey to win the $500,000 Man o' War (gr. IT) by a length over Ela Athena as European shippers filled the exacta in Saturday's Belmont Park feature race.
Critical Eye earned her first career stakes win as she battled with pacesetter Plenty of Light through the stretch, winning by a nose in the $200,000 Gazelle Handicap (gr. I) Saturday at Belmont Park.
L. Neil Jones' Millenary earned his fourth career victory from seven starts as the 3-year-old colt and Air Marshall repeated their one-two finish from August's Peugeot Gordon Stakes (Eng-III) in Saturday's Rothmans Royals St. Leger Stakes (Eng-I) at Doncaster, England.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- G. G. Ryder Wins All American in Blanket Finish
- Weekend Hideaway Repeats in Commentator
- Gun Runner Breezes for Stephen Foster
- Connections Plan Breeders' Cup Trip for Top Casablanca
- Fourstar Crook Continues Turf Win Streak
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham