The connections of Gaviola have accepted an invitation to enter the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) at Keeneland on Oct. 8 and the filly is now considered a likely starter in the 1 1/8-mile turf race.
Gulfstream Park will once again offer maiden turf races beginning with the track's 2001 meet, David S. Romanik, the South Florida oval's president, announced Friday.
The November breeding stock sale at Keeneland will offer a record 5,111 horses and stallion seasons. The 13-day sale begins Nov. 5 at noon (EST), with the remaining 12 sessions beginning at 10 a.m.
Grade I winner Golden Missile will retire to stud at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs following expected starts in the Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. III) and the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I). Golden Missile (A.P. Indy--Santa Catalina, by Cure the Blues) has won seven of 22 career races and $2,139,510 while racing for Stronach Stable.
Saturday at Turfway Park
A week after finishing fifth in the Kentucky Cup Mile Handicap on turf at Kentucky Downs, Kimberlite Pipe returns to the races in the $100,000 Turfway Park Fall Championship Handicap (gr. III) Saturday at the Kentucky oval.
Walkslikeaduck will makes his first start since equaling the Del Mar turf course record for 1 1/8 miles when he starts as the 122-pound highweight in the $150,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Derby (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Bay Meadows.
Hall of Fame trainer Philip Johnson will saddle two fillies in the $100,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Belmont Park, including Storm Dream, the lone 3-year-old in the field.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud