Friday at Belmont Park
Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) winner Tiznow and Love That Red, winner of the Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II), each posted bullet works at Santa Anita Thursday morning.
Three 3-year-olds, including a pair of Todd Pletcher trainees, will race against older horses in the $300,000 Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) Saturday at Belmont Park. 3-year-olds Trippi, More Than Ready, and Valiant Halory will be in receipt of a three-pound weight concession from the eight older horses entered, including A.G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. II) winner Successful Appeal.
Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus, unraced since a second-place finish in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), returns to the races in the $150,000 Jerome Handicap (gr. II) Saturday at Belmont Park. The one-mile race for 3-year-olds drew a field of seven.
Two owners and seven jockeys were indicted Wednesday for allegedly fixing 15 races at Penn National between January and May. If convicted, they face up to five years in prison and fines up to $250,000.
By Steve Haskin -- The big Belmont and Turfway weekends are in the book, and we've come away with a few new characters and plot twists. What normally would be a slow weekend coming up, will be spiced up considerably with the presence of Fusaichi Pegasus in the Jerome Handicap on Saturday.
Continued from part 1
Australian stallion Geiger Counter, who sired 44 stakes winners, died of cancer in mid-September at Chatswood Stud.
For the second straight year, Ashford Stud stands the top three stud horses among North American-based stallions bred to 100 or more mares in 1999. Ashford's Grand Slam was bred to 166 mares, Tale of the Cat followed by covering 147, and Southern Halo was mated to 141.
A top price of $180,000 was paid by John Oxley for a Defrere colt to top Wednesday's session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- A Closer Look at Smarty Jones Winner Uncontested
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Cuomo Plan Asks New York Racing to Pay for Drug Testing
- Cuomo Proposes Returning NYRA to Private Control
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- Cautious Giant Brings Top Price at Barretts Mixed Sale
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing