Brief racing and breeding items.
Elizabeth and Tom Baxter's Cindy's Hero charged along the rail while rounding the turn to move into contention, was swung out for racing room approaching the stretch by jockey Garrett Gomez, and closed gamely though the stretch to earn her first career win in the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) Saturday at Del Mar.
Sunday at Saratoga
Stronach Stables' turf distaff star Perfect Sting will go to post under highweight of 123 pounds when she returns from a brief layoff in Monday's $500,000 Diana Handicap (gr. IIT).
Jockey Kevin Radke was hospitalized after a spill during the first race of the Bay Meadows meeting Friday night. The jockey suffered bruises and a sore neck in the mishap but plans to resume riding on Sunday.
Michael Tabor's Yonaguska earned his first graded stakes win and City Zip became the first horse since Dehere in 1993 to sweep Saratoga's three major juvenile stakes when the two finished on even terms in the $200,000 Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) Saturday.
Both Cat Thief and Golden Missile worked at Saratoga Saturday morning as they prepare for an expected meeting in the $500,000 Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) at Turfway Park Sept. 15. Surfside went five furlongs in 1:01 over the same track.
Tom Bennett's Pipalong earned a 3/4-length victory over Godolphin's Sampower Star in the Stanley Leisure Sprint Cup Stakes (Eng-I) Saturday at Haydock Park.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field