Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Commendable and Tiznow, second against older horses in the 1 1/4-mile Pacific Classic (gr. I), head the list of possible starters for the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. I) at Louisiana Downs. D. Wayne Lukas, trainer of Commendable, won both the Belmont Stakes and Super Derby with Editor's Note in 1996.
City Zip will attempt to win his fifth straight race when he faces eight rivals in Sunday's $200,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park. The 2-year-old finished in a dead heat for first with Yonaguska in the Hopeful in his most recent start to complete a sweep of the three major juvenile stakes at Saratoga.
Edward Evans' undefeated Storm Cat filly Raging Fever heads the field of seven 2-year-old fillies entered in the $200,000 Matron Stakes at Belmont Park.
Dixie Dot Com, unraced since finishing eighth of eight in the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) in March, returns to the races Saturday in the six-furlong 200,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. III). In last year's renewal of the race, Dixie Dot Com finished fourth, behind two rivals he will face again on Saturday.
Saturday at Turfway Park
- By Ray Paulick
A spokesman for the Gore-Lieberman 2000 campaign in Kentucky issued a statement on Friday concerning Vice President Al Gore's position on interstate off-track wagering, which has been under attack from the Clinton White House's Justice Department.
Racing and breeding news and information.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- Songbird a Perfect 10 After Easy Alabama Win