Three-year-old Tiznow drilled four furlongs at Del Mar Wednesday morning and then drew post position four for Saturday's $1-million Pacific Classic (gr. I).
Gary M. Garber's Flame Thrower contested the early pace while four wide on the backstretch before displaying a burst of speed into the turn en route to a 2 3/4-length victory over fellow 2-year-olds in the $150,000 Best Pal Stakes Wednesday at Del Mar.
Barbara Smollin's Sir Bear will start as the 118-pound highweight when he faces Stonehedge Farm's Blazing Sword in Sunday's $350,000 Philip H. Iselin Handicap (gr. II) at Monmouth Park.
Jeanne G. Vance's Postponed and Godolphin Racing's Curule each put in works over the fast main track at Saratoga Wednesday in preparation for Saturday's $1-million 1 1/4-mile Travers Stakes (gr. I).
Beautiful Pleasure and Heritage of Gold will begin their rematch from neighboring starting gate stalls as the two drew post positions two and three, respectively, for Friday's $400,000 Personal Ensign Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga.
The removable track built over an asphalt auto-racing surface for Sportsman's Park's 2000 horse racing meet turned out to be extraordinarily kind to horses, according to a state veterinarian.
Highclere Thoroughbred Racing’s Petrushka, winner of the Irish Oaks, assumed the lead with an eighth of a mile to go and defeated Love Divine by 1 1/4 lengths in Wednesday’s Aston Upthorpe Yorkshire Oaks (Eng-I) at York racecourse in England.
The national Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association has named five owners to receive its regional "Owner of the Year" awards at the organization's annual awards dinner Sept 8.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Can Frosted Cool Down Chrome-Arrogate Fever?
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Consistent Just Jack Set for Maryland Million
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted
- Catch a Glimpse May Not be Done for Season
- Arrogate Finishes Strong in Latest Drill