Brief items on racing and breeding.
Calder Race Course will offer its Grand Slam II program Saturday, with four graded stakes races linked by a $100,000 guaranteed pick four wager.
Friday at Santa Anita
Malibu Stakes (gr. I) winner Dixie Union has been retired from racing due to a slight tendon injury and will begin his stud career in the 2001 breeding season, trainer Richard Mandella announced Thursday.
Gerald Ford's grade II winner Reciclada has been retired from racing after suffering a sesamoid injury on her left front leg during a four-furlong workout at Santa Anita on Dec. 24.
Nicholas Stein, an attorney and racing fan, will head the Indiana Horse Racing Commission.
Stewards of the Hong Kong Jockey Club have scheduled an inquiry for Friday into quotes attributed to jockey Greg Childs following his winning ride aboard the New Zealand mare Sunline in the Hong Kong Mile. The inquiry centers around a Sydney Morning Herald article with quotes attributed to Childs concerning a pre-race discussion he had with Justin Sheehan, rider of eventual Mile third-place finisher Adam.
Stakes winner Irish Conquest and grade II stakes-placed Gray Raider will enter stud at Donald Jones' LoAnJo Farm near Sugar Loaf, N.Y.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Shuvee Class Drop for Grade I Winner Curalina
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Bradester Towers Over Monmouth Cup Field
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Litfin at Large: Jim Dandy Saturday