Feverish led the field around the first turn and into the backstretch before hooking up with favored Gourmet Girl for a half-mile duel to the wire en route to winning the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) by a head, Saturday at Hollywood Park. On a fast track, Feverish completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:42.26 under jockey Eddie Delahoussaye.
Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Tiznow worked six furlongs Friday in preparation for a possible start in the San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 13. The work, however, left trainer Jay Robbins uncertain if the colt's left front foot is completely healed.
After losing all or part of seven race cards since Dec. 13, Turfway Park will switch to afternoon racing for the holiday week. Beginning Wednesday and running through Jan. 1, first post at the Florence, Ky. oval will be at 1:10 p.m. (EST).
Charles Town has canceled live racing for Saturday due to extremely cold temperatures. The temperature in Charles Town, W. Va. was 25 degrees at just before 5:00 p.m. (EST), with temperatures expected to drop prior to the scheduled first post time of 7:15 p.m.
Say Florida Sandy rallied from off the pace on the inner dirt track at Aqueduct and held late-closers Liberty Gold and Lake Pontchartrain at bay to win Saturday's $85,750 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) for the second time in his career. Say Florida Sandy won the 1998 Gravesend by a neck over Esteemed Friend. The 6-year-old earned $51,450 for his 22nd career win from 64 starts.
Jockey Shawn Bridgmohan was thrown from his mount, Steve's Thunder, approaching the stretch during Aqueduct's first race on Saturday and was taken to North Shore University Hospital.
Texas Glitter won an early speed duel with Bay Runner then held off Full Moon Madness by a head Friday in the $75,750 Dayjur Handicap at Hollywood Park.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Farhaan Makes the Grade in Thunder Road
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky