The connections of Caller One remain undecided whether to run the 3-year-old in the seven-furlong Malibu Stakes (gr. I), where he would likely face Haskell Invitational (gr. I) winner Dixie Union, or take on older horses in the 5 1/2-furlong El Conejo Handicap on New Year's Eve at Santa Anita. The $200,000 Malibu will be run on Tuesday, opening day at Santa Anita.
Wednesday at Calder
A task force representing a diversity of racing groups in Virginia has reached an agreement on the industry's future over the next two years. According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, the agreement provides for a decrease in the number of live Thoroughbred racing dates and an increase in purses at Colonial Downs.
Weather conditions forced five tracks -- Turfway Park, Hawthorne Race Course, Mountaineer Park, Charles Town, and Penn National Race Course -- to cancel racing again on Friday. Friday's cancellation marks the seventh time in just over a week Turfway has canceled racing due to weather and Hawthorne's fifth such cancellation. Charles Town, Mountaineer and Penn National each have lost all or part of three cards recently.
Juddmonte Farms' Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Belmont Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Aptitude will be pointed to a start in the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I), according to a report in Racing Post.
Magna Entertainment, the growing racetrack company run by Frank Stronach, has entered into an agreement with Ladbroke Racing and a subsidiary to purchase Ladbroke's Pennsylvania-based account wagering system ("Call-A-Bet"), the Meadows harness track, and four off-track betting facilities, plus an interest in the Racing Network satellite TV channel.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby