The California Horse Racing Board approved a plan allowing jockeys and horses to ride with advertising on their silks and saddlecloths.
The parents of deceased jockey J.C. Gonzalez filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court that seeks unspecified damages to be paid by a trainer and several veterinarians whom they believe are responsible for their son's death.
As an Aug. 31 deadline for legislative action neared, proponents of account wagering in California were busy trying to hammer out a compromise with union officials. Account wagering and the unionization of backstretch employees are linked through two separate pieces of legislation.
Opposition to a bill that would unionize backstretch workers in California is growing as it makes its way through the state Senate.
Most Popular Stories
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19
- One for the Roses: Social Inclusion
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/17/2014
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby