The California Horse Racing Board approved a plan allowing jockeys and horses to ride with advertising on their silks and saddlecloths.
The parents of deceased jockey J.C. Gonzalez filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court that seeks unspecified damages to be paid by a trainer and several veterinarians whom they believe are responsible for their son's death.
As an Aug. 31 deadline for legislative action neared, proponents of account wagering in California were busy trying to hammer out a compromise with union officials. Account wagering and the unionization of backstretch employees are linked through two separate pieces of legislation.
Opposition to a bill that would unionize backstretch workers in California is growing as it makes its way through the state Senate.
Most Popular Stories
- Day By Day
- Seven Derby Hopefuls Bred Outside Kentucky
- Cairo Prince Scheduled for Ankle Surgery
- Champion Steeplechaser Flatterer Dies at 35
- NBC Sports Group to Air Derby, Triple Crown
- Breeders' Cup Challenge Series Expands
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Daily Updates
- 40-Day Santa Anita Spring Meet Starts Friday
- Light on 2-Year-Olds? Blame the Weather
- Social Inclusion Breezes, Preakness Targeted