Being familiar with your horse's normal resting temperature, pulse, and respiration rates (TPR) help you recognize when things are abnormal. The TPR vitals help you determine "how abnormal." Remember, vitals taken after the horse has been worked will be elevated and a 20-30 minute recovery time is recommended for a return to normal values an...
You are at a concert when suddenly the orchestra stops playing their instruments with the exception of the kettledrums. The kettle drummer hits two beats with a pause. This is repeated over and over as you realize the drumbeats are the heart and rhythm for the orchestra. In your head you can mimic your own heartbeat with valvular doors that slam with...
Unlike heart and respiratory rates, abdominal sounds do not punch a specific time clock for generating "gut sounds." The rhythmic peristaltic churning of food mixed with fluids within the gut varies in slower waves depending on meal time, the meal itself, and the level of activity. You don't actually "time" bowel sounds, but you do...
Rabies is a rhabdovirus that has been a human threat since antiquity. The virus is capable of infecting all warm-blooded animals with some variation in susceptibility. Rabies is considered 100% fatal to the infected host. However, in order for any disease to perpetuate itself, 100% is not in the realm of "mother nature," or the disease would kill itsel...
Most Popular Stories
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Impressive Maiden Winners Try Pilgrim Stakes
- Litfin At Large: Belmont Super Saturday I
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Forever Unbridled Heads Cast for Beldame
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017