The 5 percent increase will add an average of $13,500 per day to overnight race purses at Churchill Downs. The increase is the first for Churchill Downs since June 2000 and is due to record wagering on the 128th renewals of the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby and continued growth in out-of-state wagering on Churchill Downs races.
The increase will affect all overnight races, which include allowance, maiden special weight, claiming races and maiden claiming races. Purses for stakes races and purse supplements from the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) will not be affected by this increase.
Most Popular Stories
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Charles Town Gets Dates But Awaits Contract
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- DiEmanuele Named to Woodbine's Board
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th