Xtra Heat will no doubt bring the heat to Belmont Park by way of sizzling fractions in the Genuine Risk (gr. II) at six furlongs on Sunday.The John Salzman-trained filly has had a brief freshening since finishing third behind Caller One and Echo Eddie in the Dubai Golden Shaheen (gr. I).Kenneth Taylor's champion filly has won 19 of 25 lifetime starts and $1,643,305 in purses. She appears to hold a tremendous class edge over her strictly female rivals in the Genuine Risk.
"She's training very well," said Salzman. I hope she will run well. I think she will run well."
Concerning a potential speed duel in this encounter, Salzman commented, "If she runs her race they won't be able to keep up with her."
Cynthia Knight's Dat You Miz Blue from the barn of Jimmy Jerkens has shown high speed in the past. Jerkens believes that his filly is more speed-minded over an off-track and probably won't knock heads on the front end with Xtra Heat.
"She's a tough one to figure out," said Jerkens of his strong willed mare. "She's tough to train. Tough to Gallop."
Trainer Mark Hennig, who believes Pleasant County can take back off the pace, would probably enjoy seeing a duel on the lead.
"She'll rate. She'll sit a little bit if she has to," said Hennig of his filly. "I don't mind picking up some pieces."
The presence of the speedy, Errol Mattis-trained Home on The Hill and the John Kimmel-trained La Galerie (Arg) also ensure rapid fractions.
Allen Jerkens has middle-mover Shine Again, the winner of last year's Ballerina (gr.1) at Saratoga, ready for her second engagement of the
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award