The Joe Orseno-trained Golden Corona makes her first venture into stakes company off a powerful, come from behind victory in allowance ranks over the Aqueduct turf course. The 4-year-old daughter of Gulch scored by a length-and-a-half in 1:36.4, and rides a two-race winning streak into The Beaugay. "She started to impress me back in Florida," said Orseno of his filly. "She really took off with our program. She started to fill out and put on weight. She was competitive in Canada, and now with open company," he added.
Tippity Witch will make her 5-year-old debut for trainer Allen Jerkens and owner Cynthia Knight. The late-running daughter of Affirmed did not win a graded stakes event in 2001, but finished on the board in three of six such races.
Sluice, who missed by a head in allowance company at one mile over this course, will be sent out by trainer Bill Mott. The Seeking the Gold filly raced three-wide in her last encounter, taking the lead at the top of the stretch before failing by a head.
Trainer Pat Kelly will send out Cozzy Corner, who set solid factions before fading to fourth behind Golden Corona in her last outing. "She very consistent on the turf. She tries very hard," said Kelly of the 4-year-old-daughter of Cozzene. Of her recent pace-setting effort, Kelly noted, "We didn't expect that race to come up as fast as it did."
Most Popular Stories
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Tapiture Breezes For Rebel Stakes
- AmWest Offers Players Chance to Help TCA
- Campaign to Expose Newcomers to Horses
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap