With the purse increase, officials with Colonial Downs and the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association hope to make the Virginia Derby a graded stakes. The race will be run July 13 this year."It's not the amount of the purse, it's the quality of the horses that run and what they do before and after the races that makes it a graded stakes," said Virginia HBPA representative Peter Burnett."This is building a patron base to make it a true event, similar to steeplechase events," Weinberg said in reference to the Strawberry Hill Races, a non-wagering steeplechase program held April 15 at Colonial Downs. It attracted 20,000 people.Gameco is a consolidation of five gaming entities in Colorado, Louisiana, and Nevada. As part of Gameco's recent acquisitions, $125 million in bonds were sold. Under the request, assets of Colonial Downs could be used to guarantee Gameco's bonds.
In addition to the cash infusion, Colonial Downs and the Virginia HBPA have established a committee to study the feasibility of opening other wagering facilities in Virginia. Satellite wagering facilities require a referendum by the host locality, so the committee would develop a "unified strategy that works financially and politically," Weinberg said.The commission also heard a report from Oak Ridge Racing Associates, which operates the only other pari-mutuel racetrack in Virginia. Oak Ridge will not conduct pari-mutuel harness racing this year; the association has to invest in improvements at its Nelson County facility rather than take on additional losses anticipated from the Standardbred meet.In 2001, Oak Ridge conducted nine days of harness racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby