The 1 1/16-mile Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In" event, moved from the fall schedule to Churchill's 12-day September meet and lengthened from a one-turn mile to send juveniles around two turns, is headed by 120-pound highweight Rise Up, Andrena and Paul Van Doren's solid 4 3/4-length winner of the Aug. 3 Mountaineer Juvenile at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort going six furlongs for Tom Amoss.
The Rockport Harbor colt has Rosie Napravnik in the irons and will break from post 3; the Mountaineer Juvenile was his second win from three starts off a solid score on the Tapeta surface at Presque Isle Downs & Casino.
Another of interest is Ron Winchell's Tapiture, a son of Tapit who will be ridden by Ricardo Santana Jr. from the 4 hole for trainer Steve Asmussen. In his Aug. 17 debut at Saratoga Race Course, Tapiture pressed along second behind eventual Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Strong Mandate, but could not pass that one and was beaten 4 1/2 lengths in the 6 1/2-furlong event. Ricardo Santana Jr. rides from post 4.
Trainer Kelly Breen sends a duo by Yes It's True to this spot for George and Lori Hall: Solemnly Swear broke his maiden by 8 1/2 at one mile at Monmouth Park Aug. 11, while Jimmy Connors was a 4 1/4-length winner of a July 27 5 1/2-furlong race also at Monmouth. Joe Bravo has the mount on Solemnly Swear from the 7 hole, while Jimmy Connors will be ridden by Elvis Trujillo from post 8.
Daniel Dougherty's highly regarded Ride On Curlin, a son of the two-time Horse of the Year trained by William Gowan, will be ridden by Hall of Famer Calvin Borel. The chestnut Curlin colt last time out broke his maiden by 7 3/4 wire-to-wire lengths at Ellis Park going 5 1/2 furlongs.
Completing the field are Donegal Racing's entry of Cleburne and Smart Cover, both trained by Dale Romans; Mckee Stables' Cee 'n O; Ten Grand Stable's Stonecrusher; Kevin Jacobsen's Laddie Boy; Calumet Farm's All Cash; and Cash is King's Honorable Judge, the 6 3/4-length winner of a one-mile maiden event Aug. 11 at Parx Racing.
$150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III, Race 7, approximate post 9:05 p.m. EDT), 2YOs, 1 1/16 miles (Dirt)
PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Laddie Boy (KY), J.L. Castanon, 118, C Peery
2. All Cash (KY), M. Mena, 118, D W Lukas
3. Rise Up (KY), R. Napravnik, 120, T M Amoss
4. Tapiture (KY), R. Santana, Jr., 118, S M Asmussen
5. Celburne (KY), C.J. Lanerie, 118, D L Romans
6. Honorable Judge (PA), J. Rocco, Jr., 118, R E Reid Jr.
7. Solemnly Swear (KY), J. Bravo, 118, K J Breen
8. Jimmy Connors (KY), E. Trujillo, 118, K J Breen
9. Ride On Curlin (KY), C. H. Borel, 118, W G Gowan
10. Smart Cover (KY), S. Bridgmohan, 118, D L Romans
11. Stonecrusher (KY), J.M. Johnson, 118, G G Hartlage
12. Cee 'n O (KY), A. Garcia, 118, D L Romans