Media-trained equine veterinarians representing the American Association of Equine Practitioners’ (AAEP) On Call program will support another season of live Thoroughbred racing telecasts when the “Road to the Kentucky Derby” series on the NBC Sports Group kicks off this weekend. The On Call program is designed to deliver accurate veterinary information to broadcast and print journalists regarding the health of the equine athlete.
AAEP On Call veterinarians will assist the following spring racing telecasts:
- March 30: Besilu Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla.—Scott Hay, DVM
- March 30: Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots in New Orleans, La.—Tom David, DVM
- April 6: Wood Memorial at Aqueduct Racetrack in New York, N.Y.—Celeste Kunz, VMD
- April 6: Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif. —Jeff Blea, DVM
- April 13: Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky.—Rhonda Rathgeber, DVM, PhD
- April 13: Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark.—Milton McClure, DVM
- May 4: Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky.—Larry Bramlage, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVS
- May 18: Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Md.—Bramlage
- June 8: Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y.—Bramlage
AAEP On Call veterinarians also are available to discuss horse health issues outside of the racing telecasts. For assistance, please contact Sally Baker, AAEP director of marketing and public relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859/233-0147.
The On Call program, which started in 1993, serves over 30 televised equine events annually and received the 2008 Special Eclipse Award for contributions to the sport of Thoroughbred racing. Nearly 20 media-trained AAEP-member veterinarians share their veterinary expertise as On Call spokespersons.
Disclaimer: Seek the advice of a qualified veterinarian before proceeding with any diagnosis, treatment, or therapy.