Dettori to Face Inquiry for Drug Positive
Frankie Dettori, whose nearly two-decade association with Godolphin Racing recently came to an end, is set to face a France Galop inquiry next week after returning a positive drug test in mid-September at Longchamp.
Dettori's legal representative, Christopher Stewart-Moore, said in a statement that the French racing authority's medical committee is planning a hearing.
"On behalf of Frankie Dettori I can confirm that, as a consequence of a positive test at Longchamp on September 16, 2012, he will be the subject of an inquiry by the medical committee of France Galop next week," the statement said.
"In compliance with, and out of respect for, the regulations of France Galop, he will not be commenting further until the France Galop procedures have been completed."
Dettori had four mounts at Longchamp on Sept. 16, a card of trials for the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) card in October at the Parisian racecourse.
Last month, Godolphin Racing announced that it would no longer be retaining Dettori as a stable rider. He is set to ride freelance in 2013. Godolphin's retained riders for next year will be Mickael Barzalona and Silvestre de Sousa.
Dettori, 41, rode Godolphin's first classic winner, Balanchine, in 1994 and has been aboard many of the stable's top horses since, winning 110 graded or group I races.
Champion jockey in Great Britain in 1994, 1995, and 2004, Dettori has won virtually every major international race.
In 1993, Dettori was cautioned by British police for cocaine possession.
Copyright © 2013 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.