Sportswriter, Sunny Desert Top NYSS Divisions
Sportswriter will try to win his first New York Stallion Stakes Series race on the dirt when he competes in the $100,000 Thunder Rumble at Aqueduct Racetrack, while Sunny Desert aims for her fifth straight win and third in a stakes in the $100,000 Staten Island for females Nov. 14.
The Staten Island will be run as race three with an approximate local post time of 1:18 p.m. EST, while the Thunder Rumble goes as the fifth at 2:16 p.m.
Sportswriter, owned by Michael Dubb and Michael Imperio, won a NYSS race for 3-year-olds at one mile on the turf at Saratoga Race Course in August. Trained by Rudy Rodriguez, the gray gelded son of Maybry's Boy has sprinted in his two most recent starts, a sixth in Belmont's Groovy Stakes against open company on the grass in September and a fourth against New York-breds in the Hudson over that venue's main track Oct. 20.
Javier Castellano will ride Sportswriter, the 1-4 morning-line favorite, from post position 2 in the seven-furlong test.
Frisky Warrior, owned and trained by Ralph D'Alessandro, ships south to Aqueduct off four straight allowance wins at Finger Lakes. He was last seen prevailing by a half-length in a state-bred allowance in the mud Nov. 2. Jaime Rodriguez, aboard Frisky Warrior since the winning streak began, retains the mount. The gelding was installed at 6-1 on the morning line and drew post position 5.
After breaking her maiden by 15 1/4 lengths in March at Aqueduct in her sixth start, Sunny Desert rallied along the rail to win the NYSS Park Avenue by a nose in May at Belmont Park. Since then, the Wild Desert filly has added wins in a Saratoga optional claimer in July and Belmont's Judy Soda Stakes. Ramon Dominguez, Sunny Desert's regular rider, again has the assignment. Sunny Desert, trained by John Parisella for Saul J. and Max Kupferberg, will depart from post 2 going seven furlongs at 4-5 on the morning line.
Lady On the Run, a two-time NYSS winner, took the Arctic Queen Handicap in July at Finger Lakes and enters the Staten Island off a sixth in the Fleet Indian in August at Saratoga and a third in the Iroquois at Belmont Oct. 20. Mike Luzzi has the call from post 5.
$100,000 New York Stallion Series Stakes, Staten Island Division (Race 3, 1:18 p.m. EST), 3YO & Up, NY-Breds, fillies and mares, seven furlongs (dirt)
PP., Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Odds
1. Haldane (NY), C.H. Velasquez, 116, D G Galluscio, 6-1
2. Sunny Desert (NY), R.A. Dominguez, 122, J Parisella, 4-5
3. Mah Jong Maddnes (NY), J.L. Espinoza, 116, J Morrison, 20-1
4. Jitney (NY), J.R. Velazquez, 116, J.O. Hertler, 10-1
5. Lady On the Run (NY), M.J. Luzzi, 124, J Morrison, 9-5
$100,000 New York Stallion Series Stakes, Thunder Rumble Division (race 5, 2:16 p.m. EST) 3YO & Up, NY-Breds, colts and geldings, 7 furlongs (dirt)
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Weight
1. Game Token (NY), E. Castro, 118, R E Schosberg, 8-1
2. Sportswriter (NY), J. Castellano, 122, R R Rodriguez, 1-4
3. Anaphylaxis (NY), J. L. Espinoza, 118, P E Hizo, 20-1
4. Dave's Shadow (NY), C. Montalvo, 116, S Torelli, 30-1
5. Frisky Warrior (NY), C.H. Velasquez, 118, R D'Alessandro, 6-1
6. Keltic Fighter (NY), I. Ortiz, Jr., 118, P E Hizo, 50-1
7. Maggie's Hadder (NY), A. Lezcano, 116, D G Galluscio, 10-1
Copyright © 2013 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.