Twelve juveniles will contest the 65th running of the $300,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. I), the Southern California oval's traditional closing-day headliner Sept. 5, including the precocious Know More under the familiar silks of owner J. Paul Reddam.
Know More, by Lion Heart, accomplished the rare feat of winning a stakes in his career debut when he captured the Aug. 5 Best Pal (gr. II) going 6 1/2 furlongs over the Polytrack. Reddam, his owner, is best known as the owner of I'll Have Another, who won the 2012 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Two-year-old Know More stretches out to seven furlongs with Garrett Gomez in the irons, carrying co-high weight of 122 pounds from post 5 in the Del Mar Futurity, which will be run as race eight with an approximate post time of 5:30 p.m. PDT.
The Race is a Breeders' Cup Challenge event for the Nov. 3 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park.
Among the foes of Know More are three well-regarded youngsters.
Gary and Cecil Barber's Scherer Magic was an impressive 2 1/2-length victor in the six-furlong Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) at Betfair Hollywood Park July 14 prior to running fifth at even money in the Best Pal for John Sadler.
Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners' Capo Bastone was a deliberate maiden winner for Sadler in his 5 1/2-furlong Aug. 4 debut. Arnold Zetcher's Rolling Fog was easily the best in his lone outing for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert going the same distance on the same day.
Scherer Magic, an Iowa-bred son of Doneraile Court, also carries 122 pounds including jockey Corey Nakatani, from post 11. Capo Bastone, by Street Boss, will benefit from the services of Eastern riding star John Velazquez from the 2 hole carrying 118. Rolling Fog, a son of Posse, gets Rafael Bejarano in the irons leaving post 10.
Maidens seeking an initial score include Marty Ladin's The Whole Deal, a Holy Bull runner trained by Steve Knapp; Pure Loyalty, a Florida-bred son of Simon Pure who races in the colors of Robbie Norman for trainer Mark Glatt; Jerry Durant's Caballo Del Cielo, another Songandaprayer trained by Jeff Bonde, and Ive Struck a Nerve, another by Yankee Gentleman who races for Matthew Bryan under the supervision of Keith Desormeaux.
$300,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. I, Race 8, 5:30 p.m.), 2YOs, 7 Furlongs (All Weather)
PP., Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Gabriel Charles (KY), J. Talamo, 118, J Mullins
2. Capo Bastone (KY), J.R. Velazquez, 118, J W Sadler
3. Switch to the Lead (KY), J.R. Leparoux, 115, P L Biancone
4. Yankee Rebel (KY), V. Espinoza, 116, R B Hess, Jr.
5. Know More (KY), G.K. Gomez, 112, L Mora
6. Heir of Storm (FL), M. Garcia, 118, A Barba
7. The Whole Deal (KY), A. Quinonez, 116, S Knapp
8. Pure Loyalty (FL), D.R. Flores, 116, M Glatt
9. Caballo Del Cielo (KY), M.E. Smith, 116, J Bonde
10. Rolling Fog (FL), R. Bejarano,118, B Baffert
11. Scherer Magic (IA), C.S. Nakatani, 122, J W Sadler
12. Ive Struck a Nerve (KY), J. Valdivia, Jr., 116, J K Desormeaux