Started in late July, Estrorace already has its first winner, Route Nine P. Bondon-Peltz and two partners own the filly. Eight other females are available for ownership by F W Only (For Women Only) Stable, the other name the group operates under. "The response has been incredible," said Bondon-Peltz. "We're in this explosive stage. There's vast untapped energy out there. What's really rewarding is the response I get from men."To take it a step further, Bondon-Peltz has the F W Only Stable horses trained by a woman, Leah Gyarmati, and when they need lay-ups, they'll spend time at Dianne Boyken's Four Winds Farm in Freehold, NJ. Even the silks have a feminine flair--they're hot pink with a frying pan on the back, complete with a slash through it. Also on the silks are pink ribbons signifying the group's commitment to sharing its success with breast cancer research. "When I get inquiries, that's one of the things that excites people--that side of it," said Bondon-Peltz. She said her commitment to that cause is personal, she lost a friend to the disease and her mother is a survivor. Eventually, Bondon-Peltz said she hopes to get a women's day of racing organized, with female-bred and owned runners, ridden by female jockeys, and trained by women.
"Men and women alike, have embraced the idea, and their suggestions and support have been a great source of encouragement for me," she said.More about Estrorace is available at http://www.estrorace.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts