2-Year-Olds With Derby Promise--Part III
Updated: Wednesday, December 5, 2001 1:53 PM
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2001 12:40 PM
– The son of Unbridled's Song was very impressive breaking maiden by 5 lengths back on Oct. 8, getting the mile in a solid 1:35 4/5. And we loved the way he worked prior to the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, which he was forced to pass. Trained by Bob Hess, he sold for $1.4 million as a yearling at Saratoga.Sunday Break
- Another promising Drysdale maiden, he was beaten a head by Taillevent in his career debut after battling between horses. A son of Forty Niner out of a Storm Cat mare, his second dam is graded stakes winner Pacific Princess by Damascus. Interesting fact is that he was bred in Japan.Sunray Spirit
– Godolphin colt by Hennessy won the Cowdin, but disappointed in the Nashua Stakes, in which he was a well-beaten fourth as the 2-1 favorite.Tacirring
– Broke his maiden at Belmont going 6 furlongs in fourth career start before coming down with an infection. Trainer Scott Lake says he used to beat stablemate Thunderello (who broke his maiden by 14 1/4 lengths at Saratoga) "for fun." Taillevent
– Was involved in a drag-out battle with Neil Drysdale's promising colt Sunday Break in a 6 1/2-furlong maiden race at Hollywood, in which he came out a head on top. Trained by Julio Canani, he's by Unbridled's Song out of a Soy Numero Uno mare, so there is a lot of speed there. But he gets stamina from great-grandsire Ruffinal, a son of Tom Rolfe.Tails of the Crypt
– Boosted Changeintheweather's reputation by coming off a sixth-place finish in the Grey Breeders' Cup to win an allowance race and the Display Stakes at Woodbine. By Regal Classic out of a Cryptoclearance mare, he'll have no trouble with a mile and a quarter.Thunder Days
– After chasing top horses in graded stakes all summer, he dropped down into allowance company at 1 1/16 miles at Churchill and won going away by 2 1/2 lengths. He's by Thunder Gulch out of a Silver Hawk mare and trained by Ronny Werner.Windward Passage
– Promising Steve Asmussen colt by Captain Bodgit, he broke his maiden going 1 1/16 miles at Churchill. Solid pedigree, out of a Miswaki mare.Yoga
- Dallas Stewart says this is his main Derby hope. Ran up the track in the Iroquois, but beat Maybry's Boy in Belmont maiden race in previous start, and was second to Saarland in race before that. By Mt. Livermore out of a Forty Niner mare, pedigree would seem more geared to 1 1/8 miles, but inbreeding to Tom Rolfe on female side helps.
Other names to keep an eye on are: Kamsack
(Del Mar Futurity runner-up had surgery to remove a knee chip), French Assault, Six G's, Janadel, Dubai Tiger, Metatron, It'sallinthechase, Alycheq
(last two trained by Dallas Stewart), Saint Appeal, High Thunder,
and Marasca.Related Stories
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!