The auction was conducted at the Morris J. Alhadeff Sales Pavillion at Emerald Downs.The WTBA reported that 233 Thoroughbreds were sold for a gross of $888,050 and an average of $3,811. The gross and average were down by 19.0% and 12.4%, respectively, from a year ago. This year's median was $2,200, down by 2.2%. Yearlings averaged $4,944; broodmares averaged $1,850; and weanlings averaged $2,437.Last year, 252 horses were sold for a gross of $1,095,750, an average of $4,348, and a median of $2,250.The highest-priced weanling this year was a colt by Slewdledo out of the stakes-winning mare Casey's Whiff (by John Casey). Dave and Elaine Parks bought the colt for $11,500 from Woods Creek Training Center, agent for Darlene Trask.
The highest priced broodmare this year was Maxter, a winning daughter of Fast Play who earned more than $70,000. Trainer Thomas Wenzel purchased her for $7,200 for his client, Karl Krieg of Oak Harbor, Wash. A 7-year-old who sold in foal to Tough Knight, Maxter was consigned by Tall Cedars Farm, agent for Valleymeade Farm and Ryan and Erin Palmer.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity