The auction was conducted at the Morris J. Alhadeff Sales Pavillion at Emerald Downs.The WTBA reported that 233 Thoroughbreds were sold for a gross of $888,050 and an average of $3,811. The gross and average were down by 19.0% and 12.4%, respectively, from a year ago. This year's median was $2,200, down by 2.2%. Yearlings averaged $4,944; broodmares averaged $1,850; and weanlings averaged $2,437.Last year, 252 horses were sold for a gross of $1,095,750, an average of $4,348, and a median of $2,250.The highest-priced weanling this year was a colt by Slewdledo out of the stakes-winning mare Casey's Whiff (by John Casey). Dave and Elaine Parks bought the colt for $11,500 from Woods Creek Training Center, agent for Darlene Trask.
The highest priced broodmare this year was Maxter, a winning daughter of Fast Play who earned more than $70,000. Trainer Thomas Wenzel purchased her for $7,200 for his client, Karl Krieg of Oak Harbor, Wash. A 7-year-old who sold in foal to Tough Knight, Maxter was consigned by Tall Cedars Farm, agent for Valleymeade Farm and Ryan and Erin Palmer.
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- OwnerView to Host October Ownership Seminar
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit