"She showed what she could do on Breeders' Cup Day," said Stewart. "She beat the best that day and if she could come back and beat that same filly again, I think you'd have to strongly consider her."The D. Wayne Lukas-trained Spain had a clear lead in the stretch in this year's running of the Distaff, only to be passed in the final yards by Unbridled Elaine. The daughter of 1995 Kentucky Derby winner Thunder Gulch ran in last year's Falls City, where she lost by a nose to Bordelaise.
Pat Day will ride Unbridled Elaine, who will carry 121 pounds as the 9-5 morning line favorite. Spain, who will carry highweight of 122, will be ridden by Victor Espinoza and is listed as the 3-1 second choice in the morning line.Caressing, trained by David Vance, finished fourth in the recent Churchill Downs Distaff (gr. II). She is listed as the longest shot in the Falls City field at 12-1.Other stars in the Falls City field include Miss Linda, winner of the Overbrook Spinster (gr, I) at Keeneland; Acorn (gr. I) winner Forest Secrets; Printemps, winner of Hollywood Park's Hawthorne Handicap (gr. II) and a group I winner in Chile; and Rampart (gr. II) winner De Bertie.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct