Zabeel Mile Draws Sandagiyr, Viscount Nelson
by Mary Schweitzer
Date Posted: 2/29/2012 8:19:36 AM
Last Updated: 3/1/2012 8:36:46 AM
Andrew Watkins/Dubai Racing Club
Stakes winners Viscount Nelson and Sandagiyr are set to square off in the $250,000 Zabeel Mile Sponsored by Commercial Bank of Dubai (UAE-IIT) at Meydan Racecourse March 1. The Zabeel Mile is one of two stakes that highlight the Thursday evening program during the Dubai World Cup Carnival.
Both Viscount Nelson and Sandagiyr enter the race off stakes victories at the Carnival. The Mike de Kock-trained Viscount Nelson, a 5-year-old horse by Giant's Causeway , captured the Al Fahidi Fort Sponsored by Al Tayer Motors (UAE-IIT) by a half-length Feb. 16. That was the first group/graded victory for the former Aidan O’Brien trainee, who was purchased privately and transferred to de Kock late last year.
Kevin Shea will once again have the mount.
It is unlikely that Godolphin’s Sandagiyr will be dismissed at 29-1 odds in the Zabeel Mile like he was when he captured the Firebreak Stakes Sponsored by Dubal (UAE-III) Feb. 9. A 4-year-old son of Dr Fong, Sandagiyr originally raced for his breeder, H.H. the Aga Khan. Unraced at 2, the half-brother to Sarafina won two of his six starts as a 3-year-old before being consigned to the 2011 Arqana October Arc sale, where he sold for 140,000 euros to Anthony Stroud. This will be the colt’s second start in the Godolphin silks.
Frankie Dettori will be in the irons.
Sheikh Hamdan’s Derbaas will try to turn the tables on both Viscount Nelson and Sandagiyr. The hard-knocking 6-year-old horse has finished fourth in his past two starts, first to Sandagiyr in the Firebreak Stakes, then to Viscount Nelson in the Al Fahidi Fort. Richard Hills will ride.
Gingerbread Man will be making his first start outside his native Singapore when he lines up in the Zabeel Mile. A multiple stakes-winning son of Shamardal, the 5-year-old Australian-bred horse has notched 10 wins from 18 starts, and has finished in the money 16 times. Regular rider Opie Bosson comes in for the ride.
Even Dozen Set for Nad Al Sheba Trophy
A full field of 12, led by two group I winners, will face the starter in the $200,000 Nad Al Sheba Trophy Sponsored by Attjari Al Islami (UAE-IIIT). The 14-furlong turf marathon is the co-feature on the Thursday evening program.
Trainer Marco Botti sends out Jakkalberry, who will be making the first start of his career at Meydan. The 6-year-old horse by Storming Home has won nine of his 20 lifetime starts, which includes a victory in the 2010 Gran Premio Di Milano (Ity-I). Jakkalberry won three of his six starts in 2011, wrapping up his season with a seventh-place finish in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase (HK-I) Dec. 11. Ryan Moore will ride.
The hard-trying Kasbah Bliss will be making his first start since taking the Qatar Prix du Cadran (Fr-I) Oct. 2. The 10-year-old gelding has made 34 career starts, and is a stakes winner both on the flat and over jumps. Gerald Mosse will ride for trainer Francois Doumen.
Godolphin will be represented by a four-horse entry in the Nad Al Sheba, led by Opinion Poll. The Mahmood al Zarooni trainee was a dual group II winner last year, notching victories in both the Goodwood Cup (Eng-II) and Lonsdale Cup (Eng-II). Mickael Barzalona will ride.
Al Zarooni will also be represented by Fox Hunt, a 5-year-old Dubawi gelding that races in the colors of Sheikh Mohammed’s son, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed al Maktoum. Fox Hunt won his seasonal debut Feb. 3 at Meydan, coming home an easy winner in a handicap race over the same course and distance. Prior to that, Fox Hunt finished seventh, beaten just 2 1/2 lengths, in the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I). Frankie Dettori will be aboard.
$250,000 Zabeel Mile Sponsored by Commercial Bank of Dubai (UAE-II, race 5, 11:55 a.m. EST), 3YOs (SH-bred) & up (Turf)
PP, Horse, Wgt., Jockey, Trainer
1. Jaasoos (Ire), 128, W. Buick, D. Selvaratnam
2. Dark Matter (Aus), 122, T. Durcan, S. Burridge
3. Always Certain (Aus), 128, V. Duric, M. Freedman
4. Laa Rayb (KY), 128, J. Doyle, D. Selvaratnam
5. Gingerbread Man (Aus), 128, O. Bosson, B. Marsh
6. Derbaas (KY), 128, R. Hills, A. Al Raihe
7. Viscount Nelson (KY), 131, K. Shea, M. de Kock
8. Fanunalter (GB), 128, M. Demuro, M. Botti
9. Rock Jock (Ire), 128, T. O’Shea, E. Charpy
10. Dux Scholar (GB), 128, R. Moore, H. Brown
11. Sandagiyr (Fr), 128, L. Dettori, S. bin Suroor
12. Ibn Battuta (KY), 128, W. Smith, M. Al Muhairi
$200,000 Nad Al Sheba Trophy Sponsored by Attjari Al Islami (UAE-III, race 6, 12:30 p.m. EST), 3YOs (SH-bred) & up, 14 furlongs (Turf).
PP, Horse, Wgt., Jockey, Trainer
1. Mashoor (Fr), 128, R. Perez, B. Al Shaibani
2. Electrolyser (Ire), 128, T. Durcan, C. Cox
3. Averroes (Ire), 128, M. Demuro, E. Oertel
4. Modun (Ire), 130, S. de Sousa, S. bin Suroor
5. Jakkalberry (Ire), 128, R. Moore, M. Botti
6. Fox Hunt (Ire), 130, L. Dettori, M. Al Zarooni
7 Rostrum (Fr), 128, K. Fallon, M. Al Zarooni
8. Irish Flame (SAf), 128, C. Soumillon, M. de Kock
9. Once More Dubai (KY), 128, W. Buick, S. bin Suroor
10. Glen’s Diamond (GB), 123, J. Spencer, R. Fahey
11. Opinion Poll (Ire), 131, M. Barzalona, M. Al Zarooni
12. Kasbah Bliss (Fr), 133, G. Mosse, F. Doumen
Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.