Report: Progress on Plan to Lease Monmouth
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 2/22/2012 9:45:14 AM
Last Updated: 2/23/2012 8:30:09 AM

Monmouth Park
Photo: EQUI-PHOTO

The New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority have reached a preliminary deal on the lease of Monmouth Park, according to a state newspaper.

The Asbury Park Press reported Feb. 21 that meetings that day resulted in progress, according to New Jersey THA president John Forbes. The horsemen’s group picked up the ball on the lease after casino owner Morris Bailey dropped out late last year.

Republican Gov. Chris Christie already has privatized Meadowlands, and wants to do the same with Monmouth to get the state out of the horse racing business.

Forbes told the Press draft contracts are being drawn up. NJSEA spokesman John Samerjan confirmed progress on the deal but told the newspaper no board vote has been scheduled.

Monmouth would race a schedule similar to those of the last two years: About 50 days from May through Labor Day, and another 20 from September through the fall.



Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

SUBSCRIBE to The Blood-Horse magazine TODAY!