Voting is under way at the National Thoroughbred Racing Association web site, www.ntra.com, for the 13th annual "NTRA Moment of the Year." Voters can choose from among 12 images, drawn from the year's events.
The winning moment will be recognized Jan. 16, 2012 at the Eclipse Awards ceremony in Beverly Hills, Calif., and those selecting the winning image automatically will be entered in a random drawing for a $100 gift certificate to the NTRA.com Online Memorabilia Store.
The moments were selected to illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Listed chronologically, the images and events that fans can choose from are:
• Game on Dude and Chantal Sutherland survive 10 furlongs and a 12-minute stewards’ inquiry in capturing the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I).
• Rosie Napravnik guides Pants on Fire to victory in the Louisiana Derby (gr. I) en route to becoming the first woman to win a Fair Grounds riding title.
• Uncle Mo suffers his first defeat, running third behind Toby's Corner in Aqueduct’s Resorts World New York Casino Wood Memorial (gr. I).
• Animal Kingdom runs down his foes in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
• Shackleford overcomes pre-race nervousness to hold off Animal Kingdom in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
• Blind Luck prevails by a nose over Havre de Grace following a stretch-long duel in the Delaware Handicap (gr. I).
• Caleb's Posse catches a stubborn Uncle Mo in the Foxwoods King’s Bishop Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga.
• Havre de Grace beats the boys in Saratoga’s Woodward Stakes (gr. I).
• Joseph O’Brien, 18, becomes the youngest jockey to win a Breeders’ Cup race, piloting St. Nicholas Abbey to victory in the Emirates Airline Turf (gr. IT) for his father, trainer Aidan O’Brien.
• Court Vision spoils Goldikova’s attempt at a fourth consecutive TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. IT) win, upsetting the field at 64-1.
• Drosselmeyer and Mike Smith edge Game on Dude and Chantal Sutherland at the wire of the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I), giving trainer Bill Mott his second “Classic” in 24 hours.
• Rapid Redux breaks a North American record by winning his 20th consecutive race.
"The NTRA Moment of the Year gives fans a voice and sense of ownership at the Eclipse Awards," said Keith Chamblin, NTRA senior vice president of communications and industry relations, in a release. "It allows them to salute the people, horses, and memories that make our sport so appealing. We look forward to seeing which one of the many outstanding moments from 2011 they select as this year’s winner."
Fans 18 years and older can register to vote online at www.ntra.com. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST Jan. 3, 2012. Void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. A complete set of rules is available at www.ntra.com.