Defending champion Gentoo heads a field of 10 turf marathoners in the $339,920 Qatar Prix du Cadran (Fr-I) at Longchamp Oct. 2. The 2 1/2 mile event starts things off on the rich Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) racing card.
The 7-year-old gelded son of Loup Solitaire ended 2010 on a high note, following up his victory in this event with a win in the Prix Royal-Oak (Fr-I). The Alain Lyon trainee hasn’t had as good of fortune this season, with his best result being a second-place finish to Kasbah Bliss in the listed Prix Right Royal in April. Gentoo hasn’t raced since finishing last of 13 in the Darley Prix Kergorlay (Fr-II) Aug. 21. Christophe Lemaire will ride.
Kasbah Bliss will finally try to reach the winner’s circle in the Cadran after finishing second in 2009 and third last year. The 9-year-old gelding by Kahyasi, who is also a stakes winner going over hurdles, most recently finished second to Jukebox Jury in the Prix Kergorlay. Gerald Mosse will be aboard for trainer Francois Doumen.
Trainer Andre Fabre sends out Team Valor’s Brigantin, a 4-year-old colt by Cozzene. The Kentucky-bred chestnut has had a productive season so far this year, notching a victory in the Prix Vicomtesse Vigier (Fr-II) before finishing third in the prestigious Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot. Pierre Boudot will be in the irons.
The rest of the field includes Silver Valny, Ley Hunter, Celtic Celeb, Tres Rock Danon, Terre Du Vent, Maria Royal, and Elyaadi.
$339,920 Qatar Prix du Cadran (gr. I, race 1, 7:10 a.m. EDT), 4yos & up, 20 furlongs, turf.
PP, Horse, Weight, Jockey, Trainer
1. Brigantin (KY), 128, P. Boudot, A. Fabre
2. Maria Royal (Ire), 125, G. Benoist, A. de Royer-Dupre
3. Ley Hunter (KY), 128, M. Barzalona, A. Fabre
4. Kasbah Bliss (Fr), 128, G. Mosse, F. Doumen
5. Gentoo (Fr), 128, C.P. Lemaire, A. Lyon
6. Terre Du Vent (Fr), 125, S. Pasquier, Y. de Nicolay
7. Silver Valny (Fr), 128, T. Messina, M.L. Mortier
8. Celtic Celeb (Ire), 128, M. Guyon, F. Doumen
9. Elyaadi (GB), 125, K. Fallon, J. Queally
10. Tres Rock Danon (Fr), 128, A. Suborics, W. Hickst