Full Field of 14 Drawn for Pucker Up
Updated: Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:16 PM
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:06 PM
Photo: Michael Burns
Wonder Where Stakes winner Marketing Mix faces 13 in the Pucker Up.
An overflow field of 14 3-year-old fillies was entered for $100,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) Sept. 17 at Arlington Park.
The 1 1/8-mile turf race is the feature of Arlington’s 11-race program. Post time is slated for 5:18 p.m. CDT.
Glen Hill Farm’s Marketing Mix
could find herself favored after posting an impressive victory against Ontario-bred rivals in the $250,000 Wonder Where Stakes July 31 at Woodbine. The Tom Proctor-trained daughter of Medaglia d'Oro
also boasts in-the-money finishes in the Fury Stakes and the Woodbine Oaks since breaking her maiden at Keeneland in April. Marketing Miss will be ridden for the first time by Junior Alvarado.
Millennium Farms’ Summer Savory
returns to her Chicago home base after finishing sixth in the Ontario Colleen Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine last month. Prior to that the daughter of Horse Chestnut
ran second, beaten only a half-length, in the Virginia Oaks (gr. IIIT) at Colonial Downs. The Mike Stidham trainee is 2-for-2 over the Arlington turf, breaking her maiden here in May and capturing a first-level allowance race the following month. Leading rider James Graham has the mount.
Jean and Ted Barlas and Mike Porcaro’s Trac N Jam
also comes home after a disappointing run in her last start, a fifth-place finish in the Lake Placid Stakes (gr. IIT) at Saratoga. In her previous start the daughter of El Corredor
won the Indiana Distaff at Indiana Downs. Trained by Andy Hansen, she has never been worse than second in three starts over the Arlington turf including a pair of June victories. Jermaine Bridgmohan was named to ride.
Herman Van Den Broeck’s Angelica Zapata
comes into the Pucker Up off a second-place finish in the Ellis Park Turf Stakes. The Sharp Humor
filly has one win this year, that coming in the Cincinnati Trophy over Polytrack at Turfway Park in January. Florent Geroux will ride the Ron Pellegrini-trained filly.
Two other stakes winners are part of the field—Vladamir Kasakov’s Santina Dond
, who won the Hatoof Stakes on the Arlington Million Day undercard, and Slapshot Racing’s Seans Silverdancer
, winner of the Pat Whitworth Debutante last December at Hawthorne.
$100,000 Pucker Up (gr. IIIT, Race 9 5:18 p.m.), 3YO Fillies, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Sea Level Drive (KY), C J Lanerie, 118, L R Bentley
2. Santina Dond (KY), W P Rini, 120, G Dorochenko
3. Marketing Mix (ON), J Alvarado, 124, T F Proctor
4. Love Dare (KY), E Razo Jr., 118, A Sider
5. Summer Savory (KY), J Graham, 118, M Stidham
6. Seans Silverdancer (IL), T Thornton, 120, L L Merritt
7. Trac N Jam (KY), J V Bridgmohan, 124, A M Hansen
8. Angelica Zapata (KY), F Geroux, 118, R Pellegrini
9. Don't Tell Sophia (KY), L R Goncalves, 118, P A Sims
10. Barbies M (KY), J E Felix, 118, A McKeever
11. Happy Choice (KY), J L Castanon, 118, D K Von Hemel
12. Triune (KY), S B Martinez, 118, R Budge
13. Artemus Kitten (KY), J Z Santana, 118, M J Maker
14. Maid of Heaven (KY), E T Baird, 118, K Gorder
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!