Ridden by Dana Whitley, Western Pride ran 1 1/8 miles in 1:51.12 on a sloppy track and paid $5.20, $3.40, and $2.80. Tour of the Cat paid $5.60 and $3.40. Built Up paid $4.20. The winning exacta combination returned $30.
Western Pride (Way West--Strongerthanpride , by Proud Birdie) has won four in a row and six of his last seven races, and has earned $780,179. He won the $500,000 West Virginia Derby on Aug. 11, and added the Ohio Derby (gr. II) on Sept. 29. Western Pride is owned by Carolyn Chapman and Theresa McCarthur and is trained by Richard Estvanko. He was bred in Florida by Carl Bowling and Charles Thompson.The race was scheduled for the turf course but was switched to the main track.
Due to the surface switch, the race was automatically downgraded from grade III to listed status. The original grade may be reinstated at a later date after review by the American Graded Stakes Committee of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association."He arrived here on Tuesday, so he didn't have a chance to work over the turf course," said Estvanko. "Our plan was to have him try the turf so we would have an idea of how he liked it, because we'd like to go to the Hollywood Derby. We want to go, but we need to work him on the grass. Another option is the Clark Handicap (at Churchill Downs)." (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban