Due to rain and the resulting soft turf, five horses, including early favorite Gaviola, scratched and left nine horses to contest the 8 1/2-furlong event. After a quarter-mile in :23.57, Dawn Princess led Wolf Alert by a half-length. At the half-mile, Star Queen led briefly, but Dawn Princess then regained and held the lead through the mile in 1:37.95.
The field bunched up leaving the turn for home, where Millie’s Quest made a run from sixth to draw even with, then pass Dawn Princess and two other late runners, Shopping For Love and Battenkill. At the wire Millie’s Quest was a length ahead of Shopping For Love and had covered the distance in 1:44.52. Battenkill came up for third. The winner paid $13. Solvig was never better than eighth and finished last under Pat Day.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa