She Be Wild Looks to Bounce Back in Fla. Oaks
Updated: Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:37 PM
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:28 PM
Champion filly She Be Wild, a disappointing fifth in her season debut last month at Gulfstream Park, ships further north to Tampa Bay Downs in hopes of rebounding in the $175,000 Florida Oaks (gr. III) March 13.
Named champion 2-year-old filly after her victory in the 2009 Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park, Nancy Mazzoni’s homebred She Be Wild returned for her sophomore season in the Jan. 31 Forward Gal (gr. II), which was her first start over natural dirt. The daughter of Offlee Wild was never a factor when finishing nearly 10 lengths in back of the winner, Bickersons. She has turned in three works since that effort, all of them at Gulfstream.
Trained by Wayne Catalano, She Be Wild won four of five starts a juvenile. In addition to the Breeders’ Cup, she scored in the Top Flight and Arlington-Washington Lassie (gr. III) Stakes, both over the Arlington Park Polytrack.
Riding She Be Wild for the first time will be Jose Lezcano. They will break from post 5 in a 10-horse field. The dark bay or brown filly, who is out of the Seeking the Gold mare Trappings, will carry top weight of 122 pounds.
Carrying 120 pounds will be Florida-bred filly Diva Delite
, a winner four consecutive races for trainer David Vivian. A perfect 3-for-3 in 2010, Diva Delite captured her last two wins at Tampa Bay in the Gasparilla and Suncoast Stakes.
Owned by Barbara Vivian and Dominic Vittese, the daughter of Repent
has already raced 14 times, recording a 7-4-2 mark—all in Florida. She won a $40,000 claimer at Calder last September. Rosemary Homeister Jr. stays aboard.
Also in the picture is Awesome Vow
, who is 2-for-2 at Tampa Bay this season for Kathleen O’Connell; Cuff Me
, an Officer
filly who was undefeated in three starts as a juvenile for Anthony Dutrow but finished fourth in her season debut, the Jan. 9 Old Hat Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream; and Imaginary Saint
, third in the Suncoast for Todd Pletcher and now getting the services of Ramon Dominguez.
Also on the Tampa Bay card, which is highlighted by the $300,000 Tampa Bay Derby
(gr. III), is the $150,000 Hillsborough Stakes
(gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares going nine furlongs on the grass. This year's Suwannee River (gr. IIIT) winner Tottie
and grade I winner Mushka
figure to vie for favoritism.
J. H. Richmond-Watson’s Tottie, a 4-year-old English-bred daughter of Fantastic Light, is perfect in two starts in the U.S. since being shipped in from Europe. Trained by Chad Brown, she won a 1 1/16-mile allowance race at Gulfstream in January before taking the Suwannee River Feb. 6. Lezcano has the call once again.
Brushwood Stable’s Mushka was a tiring fifth in her 5-year-old debut, the Feb. 13 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. II) on the Pro-Ride surface. Sixth in last year’s Hillsborough, Mushka went on to win the Juddmonte Spinster Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland in the fall. She crossed the wire second in that race but was placed first when stewards disqualified Proviso.
$150,000 Hillsborough Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 8, 3:57 p.m. EST), Fillies & Mares 4 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Coulee (KY), V Lebron, 118, J A Booker, Jr.
2. Tottie (GB), J Lezcano, 122, C C Brown
3. Cure for Sale (ARG), J Alvarado, 116, R Malek
4. Little B Rosson (KY), H Villa-Gomez, 116, J Ness
5. Liberally (IRE), R Maragh, 116, T Albertrani
6. Mushka (KY), K J Desormeaux, 120, W I Mott
7. Sweet and Flawless (KY), 116, E R Reed
8. Satans Quick Chick (KY), 116, E R Reed
9. Phola (KY), R A Dominguez, 116, T A Pletcher
10. In My Glory (KY), W Martinez, 116, C Peery
11. Lady Shakespeare (KY), R B Homeister Jr., 116, R L Attfield
12. Ainamaa (KY), C Montalvo, 116, G A Griffith
$175,000 Florida Oaks (gr. III, Race 9, 4:27 p.m. EST), 3YO Fillies, 1 1/16 Miles (Dirt)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Tesoro de Amor (KY), J C Leyva, 116, W A Kaplan
2. C C's Pal (FL), J Rose, 116, D S Ryan
3. Cuff Me (NY), K J Desormeaux, 116, A W Dutrow
4. Imaginary Saint (KY), R A Dominguez, 116, T A Pletcher
5. She Be Wild (KY), J Lezcano, 122, W M Catalano
6. Diva Delite (FL), R B Homeister Jr., 120, D A Vivian
7. Mallory Square (KY), P Morales, 116, C Gatis
8. Miss Afleet Alex (KY), D Centeno, 116, K W Marshall
9. Awesome Vow (ON), A Stephen, 116, K O'Connell
10. Yournotthebossofme (KY), L A Gonzalez, 116, C J Stewart
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!