The $250,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III), which was rescheduled for Feb. 20 after frigid temperatures in Hot Springs, Ark., forced its cancellation on President’s Day, redrew a field of 10—the same horses from its original field.
A one-mile contest for 3-year-olds and the first of two preps for the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) April 10 at Oaklawn Park, the Southwest will have close to the same look as it did when originally scheduled for Feb. 15, with the exception of different post positions and a few rider changes.
The colt perhaps most affected by the rescheduled date is Zabeel Racing International’s Conveyance, who will not only break from post 9 instead of post 2 this time, but will also have a new rider—Martin Garcia instead of Garrett Gomez.
Winner of the San Rafael (gr. III) at Santa Anita on Jan. 16, Conveyance is undefeated in three starts for trainer Bob Baffert. The Indian Charlie colt is expected to be on or near the lead.
Joining Conveyance are fellow California shippers, M Racing’s Cardiff Giant, and Joy Ride Racing and La Cresta Farm’s Domonation, who ran second and third in the San Rafael, respectively.
The two top local horses are still Charles Cella’s Dryfly, wire-to-wire winner of the Smarty Jones Stakes Jan. 18, and Robert Baker and William Mack’s Dublin, who won the Three Chimneys Hopeful (gr. I) as a juvenile.
Dublin, making his 3-year-old debut, may have benefitted the most by the redraw, as he was originally was slated to break from post 10 but will now start from post 3 for D. Wayne Lukas. Twin Creeks Racing Stables’ Mission Impazible drew post 10 this time and will have Eibar Coa in the irons instead of John Velazquez.
The Southwest is slated for a 5:29 p.m. CST post.
$250,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III, Race 10, 5:29 p.m.), 3YO, 1 Mile (Dirt) PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Kitty's Turn (KY), G Murphy, 115, G A Thomas
2. Pleasant Storm (OK), B McNeil, 117, J Petalino
3. Dublin (KY), T J Thompson, 117, D W Lukas
4. Dryfly (KY), C H Borel, 122, L S Whiting
5. Cardiff Giant (KY), C Santiago Reyes, 115, J Periban
6. Cool Bullet (FL), J K Court, 117, S Margolis
7. Crider (FL), L S Quinonez, 115, S M Asmussen
8. Domonation (KY), C S Nakatani, 115, J W Sadler
9. Conveyance (KY), M Garcia, 122, B Baffert
10. Mission Impazible (KY), E Coa, 115, T A Pletcher