Interest in Keeneland’s Pin Oak Valley View (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies was so high that the Oct. 23 stakes will be run in two divisions. The first division has been carded as the seventh race and attracted 12 runners, and the second division, with a field of 12 and one also-eligible, is the ninth race. Each race will hold its grade III status.
The original purse of the 1 1/16-mile Pin Oak Valley View was $150,000, but Keeneland has adjusted the purse so each division will be worth $125,000. The split of the Pin Oak Valley View marks the first time since 1999 that a Keeneland stakes has been run in two divisions.
The 119-pound highweight in the first division is Brereton C. Jones’ homebred Silver Reunion
, who is coming off a 3 1/4-length win in the one-mile Riskaverse at Saratoga Sept. 3 in her turf debut. Overall, it was the third victory in the last four starts for the Graham Motion-trained daughter of Harlan's Holiday
, who will be ridden by Ramon Dominguez and break from post 5.
The first division also attracted Martin S. Schwartz’s Rex Regina
, an Irish-bred daughter of King's Best
who is a stakes winner in France and is making her North American debut for trainer Jean-Claude Rouget. Julien Leparoux will have the mount.
Two fillies who last faced each other in a 1 1/16-mile allowance race at Keeneland Oct. 9 are also returning in the first division. They are Gessler Racing's Redreamit
, who was third in that race, and Carl F. Pollard’s Kiss Mine
, who ran seventh.
Two fillies in the second division were assigned top weight of 123 pounds. They are Afternoon Stroll
, who races for Tim Hamm’s Blazing Meadows Farm and Rick Claypool; and Barbara Hunter’s Keertana
Hamm also trains Afternoon Stroll, who won Keeneland’s one-mile Appalachian (gr. IIIT) in April and since has made four starts without a win. Sixth in Gozzip Girl’s American Oaks (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park in July, the Stroll
filly was third behind Silver Reunion in the Riskaverse. With Jamie Theriot up, she will start from post 2.
Keertana, trained by Tom Proctor, figues to take much of the betting action based on her solid campaign. She began a three-race win streak in May with an allowance score at Churchill Downs, then won the Regret (gr. IIIT) two weeks later over the same course, and completed the hat track in the Indiana Downs Distaff in July.
A daughter of Johar, Keertana is graded stakes-placed in her last two tries—second in the Lake Placid (gr. IIT) in August at Saratoga; and third in the Garden City (gr. IT) at Belmont last month. She will break from post 6 with Robby Albarado aboard.
$125,000 Pin Oak Valley View (gr. IIIT, Race 7, 4:11 p.m.), 3YO Fillies, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Jockey, Trainer
1. Rex Regina (IRE), J R Leparoux, 117, J Rouget
2. Single Solution (KY), J Graham, 117, C M Block
3. Kiss Mine (KY), T Farina, 117, D R Vance
4. Weekend Strike (KY), K J Desormeaux ,117, T A Pletcher
5. Silver Reunion (KY), R A Dominguez, 119, H G Motion
6. Kiawah Cat (KY), R Maragh, 117, W I Mott
7. Bluegrass Princess (KY), J R Velazquez, 117, K P McLaughlin
8. Flowerbomb (KY), C H Borel, 117, R L Attfield
9. Always in My Heart (KY), L Q Hamilton, 119, D K Von Hemel
10. Redreamit (KY), R Albarado, 117, K G McPeek
11. Project Rose (PA), E T Baird, 117, J E Sheppard
12. Katara (KY), S Bridgmohan, 117, M R Matz
$125,000 Pin Oak Valley View (gr. IIIT, Race 9, 5:13 p.m.), 3YO Fillies, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey, Trainer
1. Unbridled Essence (FL), P Lopez, 117, G D Sacco
2. Afternoon Stroll (KY), J Theriot, 123, T E Hamm
3. Direct Line (KY), V Santiago, 117, V Oliver
4. Haka (KY), R Maragh, 117, C Clement
5. Forest Uproar (ON), C Landry, 117, M R Frostad
6. Keertana (KY), R Albarado, 123, T F Proctor
7. Saucey Evening (CA), R A Dominguez, 117, H G Motion
8. Eye of Taurus (KY), J R Velazquez, 117, K P McLaughlin
9. Aurora Lights (KY), J McAleney, 117, E Coatrieux
10. Miss Keller (IRE), E R Da Silva, 117, R L Attfield
11. Mother Russia (NY), J R Leparoux, 119, L Rice
12. Cumulonimble (IL), J L Castanon, 119, S Hobby
13. Seniga (KY), C A Emigh, 117, B G Hughes