Marty Wolfson, who saddled Edmund Gann’s It's a Bird in last year’s Spend a Buck Handicap (gr. III), appears to have the solid favorite in the 2009 renewal with Gann's 4-year-old Motovato, a winner of three of four starts at the Calder Race Course meet.
Motovato leads a field of 12 in the $100,000 Spend a Buck Oct. 17, a 1 1/16-mile race for 3-year-olds. The main track event is a “Win and You’re In” test for the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile
(gr. I) to be held Nov. 7 at Santa Anita.
Motovato, a son of Proud Citizen
—Buffalo Bird Woman, by Slew City Slew-- suffered his only loss over the Calder track when runner-up to ill-fated Finallymadeit in the Memorial Day Handicap (gr. III) May 25. In his next start, Motovato romped home by 5 1/4 lengths in the Primal overnight stake June 27 and comes into the Spend a Buck after an even try finishing fifth in the $250,000 Presque Isle Mile run over the synthetic Tapeta surface on Sept. 13.
Bred in Kentucky by Elizabeth L. Jones and Brownell Alexander, Motovato has produced a 4-1-2 record from 11 lifetime starts with earnings of $139,019. Eddie Castro has the mount.
Motovato's biggest threat may come from Quantum Racing Team's 4-year-old gelding Mambo Meister
with leading Calder rider Manoel Cruz aboard for trainer Phil Gleaves. The versatile son of King Cugat
returns to the main track after making his last four starts in turf stakes.
Mambo Meister made several road trips this summer, finishing a game second in the Fourstardave Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga in early August and a close-up fourth last out in the Red Bank Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park Sept. 6. He has won several races over the Calder main track, including the Big Bubble overnight in mid-May.
On Oct. 10, Mambo Meister turned in a bullet four-furlong work in :48 3/5 at Calder, the best of 76 that day.
, who won the Needles Stakes Sept. 26 at Calder but was disqualified for interference in the stretch, and Cinnamon Road
, the horse placed first as a result, are also in with a good chance. Temo's Dream was also cross-entered in the Calder Derby (gr. IIIT), which goes to post just before the Spend a Buck.
Post time is set for 5:19 p.m. EDT.
$100,000 Spend a Buck Handicap (gr. III, Race 11, 5:19 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (Dirt)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Imawildandcrazyguy (FL), E Coa, 117, W A Kaplan
2. Temo's Dream (FL), A Lezcano, 114, W A Kaplan
3. Lady Shatzi (PER), E Oro, 114, R Boileau
4. Dream Maestro (FL), J C Leyva, 117, W A Kaplan
5. Hal's My Hope (FL), J A Rivera, 114, B R Rose
6. Hey Byrn (FL), J Sanchez 116 E Plesa Jr.
7. Cinnamon Road (FL), L Saez, 115, M W Wolfson
8. Pechito (ARG), C Penalba, 115, M J Azpurua
9. Motovato (KY), E Castro, 119, M D Wolfson
10. Mambo Meister (KY), M R Cruz, 118, P A Gleaves
11. Stately Character (KY), L H McCauley, 112, G Procino
12. Colonial Causeway (VA), E O Nunez, 115, M J Azpurua