Moment of the Year Voting Under Way
from the National Thoroughbred Racing Association
Voting is under way at ntra.com for the 10th annual “NTRA Moment of the Year,” it was announced Dec. 4.
Voters can choose from among 12 images, drawn from the year's events. Those selecting the winning image automatically will be entered in a random drawing for a Toshiba flat-screen TV, courtesy of NTRA Advantage.
The winning moment will be recognized at the Jan. 26, 2009, Eclipse Awards ceremony in Miami.
The moments were selected to illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements, as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Listed chronologically, the images and events that fans can choose from are:
• Pyro charges past all 10 of his foes in the stretch to take the Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds
• Reigning Horse of the Year Curlin dominates the Dubai World Cup
• Big Brown powers home from post 20 to take the Kentucky Derby
• Exhilaration turns to heartbreak as Eight Belles suffers a fatal injury following the Derby
• Big Brown spurts away from his opponents in the Preakness Stakes
• Triple Crown hopeful Big Brown is eased as Da' Tara wins the Belmont Stakes
• Red Rocks spoils Curlin's grass debut in Belmont's Man o' War Stakes
• Curlin wins the Jockey Club Gold Cup to become North America's first $10 million earner
• Peppers Pride stays perfect and sets a North American record with her 17th straight victory
• Zenyatta caps her undefeated season with a last-to-first win in the Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic
• Goldikova unleashes a powerful stretch burst to win the Breeders' Cup Mile
• Raven's Pass culminates a big day for the Europeans by taking the Breeders' Cup Classic
The first-ever NTRA Moment of the Year was the touching scene involving Charismatic and jockey Chris Antley following the 1999 Belmont Stakes.
The following year’s winner was the stretch run of the 2000 Breeders’ Cup Classic, which saw Tiznow hold on for a dramatic victory against Giant's Causeway . Tiznow won again the following year as fans selected his stirring repeat victory in the Classic over Sakhee.
In 2002, fans cited the passing of the last living Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew. In 2003, the popular Kentucky Derby win by Funny Cide was selected. Birdstone’s upset win in the Belmont Stakes over Smarty Jones took down top honors for 2004.
In 2005, fans selected Afleet Alex’s spectacular victory in the 2005 Preakness Stakes. Voters in 2006 chose Barbaro’s gallant struggle to recover from his Preakness injury while at the New Bolton Center.
Last year’s Moment of the Year was Rags to Riches’ historic victory over Curlin in the Belmont Stakes.
Fans 18 years and older can register to vote online at www.ntra.com. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST Jan. 12, 2009. Void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. A complete set of rules is available at www.ntra.com.
Copyright © 2013 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.