International breeding group Darley has renewed its sponsorship of the $1,005,000 Darley Australian Cup (Aust-I) for another three years, it was announced Sept. 16.
Victoria Racing Club chief executive Dale Monteith said the club was delighted to continue the partnership with Darley up to 2011.
“The Darley Australian Cup is the VRC’s premier weight-for-age race and the company’s continued involvement with it ensures that status will remain,” Monteith said.
The race is the feature event on Flemington’s “Super Saturday” which includes two other group I races, the Newmarket Handicap and Cadbury Guineas. It is the major day of the VRC’s Festival of Racing in the autumn.
Darley first sponsored the Australian Cup in 2004 when it was won by Sydney champion Lonhro. Subsequent winners have included Makybe Diva.
Darley general manager, Oliver Tait said Darley was thrilled to continue its involvement with one of the greatest races on the Australian calendar.
“Our stallions are very well supported by Victorian breeders and this is but one way we can show our support for top class racing to continue at Flemington,” he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong