International breeding group Darley has renewed its sponsorship of the $1,005,000 Darley Australian Cup (Aust-I) for another three years, it was announced Sept. 16.
Victoria Racing Club chief executive Dale Monteith said the club was delighted to continue the partnership with Darley up to 2011.
“The Darley Australian Cup is the VRC’s premier weight-for-age race and the company’s continued involvement with it ensures that status will remain,” Monteith said.
The race is the feature event on Flemington’s “Super Saturday” which includes two other group I races, the Newmarket Handicap and Cadbury Guineas. It is the major day of the VRC’s Festival of Racing in the autumn.
Darley first sponsored the Australian Cup in 2004 when it was won by Sydney champion Lonhro. Subsequent winners have included Makybe Diva.
Darley general manager, Oliver Tait said Darley was thrilled to continue its involvement with one of the greatest races on the Australian calendar.
“Our stallions are very well supported by Victorian breeders and this is but one way we can show our support for top class racing to continue at Flemington,” he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones