The winning son of Action This Day is trained by Michael Maker, who is also part owner along with Sand Dollar Stable and Skychai Racing. He was sent off at odds of 7-1.
Making his fourth lifetime start in the 1 1/16-mile Cradle, Night Action dueled for the early lead while racing along the hedge with favored Fitzaslew before getting control while cutting even fractions of :24 2/5, :48 2/5 and 1:12. Lebron gave Night Action his head a bit rounding the bend and the colt edged away to take command in upper stretch. Night Action led by four lengths with a furlong to go and held sway under firm handling.
Night Action, making his stakes debut, earned his second victory after breaking his maiden at Ellis Park on the turf July 12. His earnings increased to $135,575 after collecting $120,000 for the Cradle victory. Night Action was coming off a third-place finish on the River Downs lawn in an allowance race Aug. 9.
Bourbon Bay, with Julio Felix aboard, rallied from last to finish second at 38-1, three-quarters of a length ahead of Appalachian Trail, ridden by Cesar Camaque. Just Like Biscuit was ahead back in fourth. Fitzaslew, the 8-5 choice, weakened in the stretch and finished sixth.
Night Action paid $16.40, $6.20 and $4. Bourbon Bay returned $19.80 and $7.60. Appalachian Trail was $4.20 to show.
Gary and Mary West bred Night Action, who is out of Saint Aubin, by Saint Ballado. He sold for $50,00 at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company 2008 Selected Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training.
Most Popular Stories
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Louies Flower Blooms in Springboard Mile