Trained by David Wachman, the son of Danetime was ridden to victory by Johnny Murtagh as the 9-2 choice.
Bushranger finished third, five lengths behind the Aidan O'Brien-trained Mastercraftsman in the Independent Waterford Wedgwood Phoenix Stakes (Ire-I) at the Curragh July 27. Bushranger won a group III at the Curragh two weeks prior to that.
Bushranger tracked the leaders in the six-furlong straight event, which was contested on good going, before closing in with a quarter-mile to go. Under urging from Murtagh, he drove past Gallagher, who had assumed the advantage under Jimmy Fortune with more than a half-furlong to run, and won in a driving finish. It was 2 1/2 lengths back to the third-place finisher, Lord Shanakill.
"It was great," Wachman told the Racing Post. "We have always thought a lot of him, and Johnny gave him a very good ride. It all went to plan, he got a lead and took it up late."
A decision on the next start for Bushranger, who is owned by Derrick Smith and Susan Magnier, has not been made.
"He can go on any ground. The owners have a lot of horses, so we'll just have to see where it suits them with the rest of their plans," Wachman said.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Chasing Landaluce
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points