On Aug. 21, once again Australia celebrated when Makybe Diva foaled her first daughter, by Coolmore’s Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus (Mr. Prospector—Angel Fever, by Danzig).
It was a controversial mating at the time, since Fusaichi Pegasus has not been a great success in Australia as a stallion—he has produced group I winner Haradasun—but given the outstanding and consistent crop of group I winning mares he received, his sale ring potential has slumped alarmingly. However, an equine influenza outbreak caused connections to choose Fusaichi Pegasus, as Makybe Diva was at Coolmore, as was the stallion, when EI hit.
This is the second foal for Makybe Diva, who produced a colt last year by former Coolmore shuttler, Vodafone English Derby (Eng-I) winner Galileo, another failure, so far, at stud in Australia.
The great and popular mare is now booked to visit fellow Coolmore stallion and last season's Australian leading sire Encosta de Lago, who is by Fairy King our of the Star Way mare Shoal Creek. Makybe Diva, the only horse to win three Melbourne Cups: in 2003, ’04, and ’05, retired in November 2005 with 15 wins (11 stakes from seven furlongs to two miles, including seven group Is), plus 7 placings from 36 starts for Aus$14,526,685 (approximately US$14.1million) in purse earnings.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Taptowne Draws Rail in Well-Matched Razorback
- U.A.E. to Supply Horses for Chinese Race Day