According to The Racing Post, Newmarket Racecourse will host the Juddmonte International Stakes (Eng-I) on Saturday after the British Horseracing Authority worked frantically to reschedule nine of the races lost from the canceled York meeting. Newmarket will also stage the Ebor Festival's other group I events -- the Darley Yorkshire Oaks and the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes -- on Friday.
William Derby, clerk of the course and chief executive said, “This is hugely disappointing news for connections and racegoers alike. A further shower of rain fell this morning and the forecast is not encouraging. Simply, the track has not recovered and remains not suitable for racing on Wednesday lunchtime. Consequently we have decided to make an early announcement to allow connections and racegoers to make alternative plans.
"It is bitterly disappointing that a Festival that has been looked forward to for so long should fall victim to the weather. I remain very proud of the team in all their efforts to get the racing on and am grateful for the many messages of support that we have received. ”
Y A £2.5 million investment a comprehensive scheme to drain and irrigate the course is set for completion ahead of the Dante Festival in May 2009.
Most Popular Stories
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- City Wolf Joins Roster at Pleasant Acres
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says