Godolphin's Music Note is likely headed for the $600,000 Alabama Stakes (gr. I) along with stablemate Little Belle Aug. 16 at Saratoga, although the Travers (gr. I) remains a possibility for the two-time grade I winner in New York this season.
Both of the 3-year-old fillies worked over the Polytrack surface at the Greentree Training Center adjacent to Saratoga Race Course Aug. 10. Music Note, winner of four straight, including the Coaching Club American Oaks and Mother Goose (both gr. I) at Belmont Park, breezed five furlongs in 1:02 2/5. Shortly thereafter, stablemate Little Belle, who captured the Ashland (gr. I) at Keeneland this spring, covered the same distance in 1:00 4/5.
Music Note is nominated to the Aug. 23 Travers, as well as the Alabama.
“I spoke with (Godolphin trainer Saeed bin Suroor) right after they worked,” said Rick Mettee, North American racing manager for the stable. “He said to prepare as if both fillies were to run in the Alabama. The final decision (as to where Music Note runs) will be made by Sheikh Mohammed (bin Rashid al Maktoum) and the Maktoums.”
Mettee said the fillies had been galloping on the Polytrack all week because of the wet weather, which was the reason he elected to have them work over the artificial surface.
“Music Note went off a bit slow, she got the first eighth in :14, but finished up strong, getting the last quarter in :22 4/5,” he said. “She galloped out real well. It was pretty good work for Little Belle, who is not much of a work filly.”
Most Popular Stories
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Easthams Re-Launch Legacy Bloodstock
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Close to VLT Agreements
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- OwnerView to Host October Ownership Seminar