The 4-year-old daughter of Not For Love --Jerry Bomb, by Explosive Bid, turned in a sparkling time of 1:07.88 for the six-furlong test over firm going. Akronism scored her first graded stakes win.
Ridden by Eurico Rosa da Silva, Akronism sat just off a hotly-contested pace duel, then rallied stoutly down the homestretch under light handling. The bay settled in third behind Marina Ballerina and Sea the Joy through swift fractions of :21.86 and :44.23.
Becky Sharp, ridden by Robert Landry, rallied for second on the inside, a neck ahead of 9-5 favorite Marina Ballerina and Justin Stein.
The final time was just a shade off the track record of 1:07.39 set by Starticus on July 5.
"I had a chance to be in a good position and she was traveling perfectly,” said da Silva, aboard the Kentucky-bred bay for the first time in the filly's Woodbine debut. “When she was warming up, she was very relaxed. It looked like she had run here 10 times already.”
It was the eighth career victory from 20 starts for Akronism, who came into the Royal North off a third-place performance in the Light Hearted Stakes on July 13 at Delaware Park, her first grass test. Akronism has banked $431,496 in her career.
Half Sister finished fourth, followed by Sea the Joy and Eeny Meeny. Green Door was scratched, reducing the field to six starters.
Sent off as the third choice under top weight of 119 pounds, Akronism returned $8.70, $4.40, $3.60, combining with Becky Sharp ($7.50, $4.30) for a $65 exacta. Marina Ballerina ($2.60) helped fashion a $215.30 trifecta.
View Stakes Detail and Full Equibase Chart
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Genetics Behind Horses' Face and Leg Markings Studied
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Engaging On-Track Fans With Social Games
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run