The 2008 September sale catalog is the largest ever offered by Keeneland, eclipsing the 5,553 yearlings cataloged last year. Of the total cataloged, 2,827 are colts, 2,727 are fillies, and one is a gelding.
"Keeneland September sale graduates dominate racing, from the classics to the regional markets; making this sale the one place to find a 'Saturday' horse," Keeneland director of sales Geoffrey Russell said in a statement.
On-line catalogs for the sale will be available on Keeneland's Web-site (ww2.keeneland.com/default.aspx) beginning Aug. 5. Print catalogs will be mailed the week of Aug. 18.
No sale will be conducted Friday, Sept. 12. Sessions begin at 10 a.m. ET daily. Keeneland will provide live coverage of the entire 15-day auction on its Web-site.
The Keeneland September sale counts among its recent graduates reigning Horse of the Year Curlin, and national champions Rags to Riches, War Pass, Wait a While, Midnight Lute, English Channel and Maryfield; Good Ba Ba, Horse of the Year and champion miler in Hong Kong; and Canadian Horse of the Year Arravale.
The 2007 September sale produced total sales of more than $385 million, the second-highest grossing September sale in Keeneland history. An industry record 3,799 yearlings were sold, including 32 for $1 million or more. Demi O'Byrne, on behalf of John Magnier and Coolmore Stud, purchased the sale topper, bidding $3.7 million for a colt by Unbridled's Song out of Kentucky Oaks (gr.I) winner Secret Status, from the consignment of Lane's End, agent.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale