The 2008 September sale catalog is the largest ever offered by Keeneland, eclipsing the 5,553 yearlings cataloged last year. Of the total cataloged, 2,827 are colts, 2,727 are fillies, and one is a gelding.
"Keeneland September sale graduates dominate racing, from the classics to the regional markets; making this sale the one place to find a 'Saturday' horse," Keeneland director of sales Geoffrey Russell said in a statement.
On-line catalogs for the sale will be available on Keeneland's Web-site (ww2.keeneland.com/default.aspx) beginning Aug. 5. Print catalogs will be mailed the week of Aug. 18.
No sale will be conducted Friday, Sept. 12. Sessions begin at 10 a.m. ET daily. Keeneland will provide live coverage of the entire 15-day auction on its Web-site.
The Keeneland September sale counts among its recent graduates reigning Horse of the Year Curlin, and national champions Rags to Riches, War Pass, Wait a While, Midnight Lute, English Channel and Maryfield; Good Ba Ba, Horse of the Year and champion miler in Hong Kong; and Canadian Horse of the Year Arravale.
The 2007 September sale produced total sales of more than $385 million, the second-highest grossing September sale in Keeneland history. An industry record 3,799 yearlings were sold, including 32 for $1 million or more. Demi O'Byrne, on behalf of John Magnier and Coolmore Stud, purchased the sale topper, bidding $3.7 million for a colt by Unbridled's Song out of Kentucky Oaks (gr.I) winner Secret Status, from the consignment of Lane's End, agent.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity