According to a statement from the New York Racing Association, the cancellation was due to a lack of air conditioning in some parts of the facility, including the jockeys' room, because there was insufficient electricity as a result of transformer fire in the basement on Saturday, July 19. The fire resulted in a temporary evacuation, but the track re-opened and conducted its entire 10-race card. Fan access was restricted to the clubhouse area, since the fire was under the grandstand.
"By Sunday, sufficient electricity had not been restored to provide air conditioning to key areas, in particular the jockey room, which is located in the track basement and has no windows to provide ventilation," the statement said. "Given that factor and other intermittent electrical issues, the decision was made to cancel today’s live racing. Simulcast action, however, is being offered today."
NYRA reported the transformer will be repaired while the meet is conducted at Saratoga, which begins Wednesday, July 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise