Owned by Bill and Vicki Poston, the Florida-bred colt found a seam at the top of the stretch and quickened impressively through the stretch to win in hand for jockey Jono Jones.
Dryden, ridden by James McAleney, finished second, 6 1/4 lengths ahead of Bear’s Rocket and Jerry Baird in third.
Southern Exchange, who traveled the six furlongs in 1:10.74 over the Polytrack surface, was locked in on the rail for over a half-mile before finding room to perform.
Jones admitted that his rivals had him in a tough spot early.
“They had him good for a little while,” said Jones. “He just pushed his weight around and did what he had to do. He’s a racehorse. He does everything perfect.”
Winning trainer Gregory de Gannes said one of the Exchange Rate colt’s best attributes is his competitive spirit.
“Some horses have it; some horses don’t,” he said. “This guy most certainly does. He has the desire, the fire in his eyes, the look of eagles. I don’t care what you want to call it. He’s got it.”
The Colin victory raised Southern Exchange's earnings to $212,942.
One month ago, Southern Exchange also rallied from just off the pace to easily take the five-furlong Victoria Stakes. He is the first horse since Vorticity in 1999 to win the Colin and the Victoria.
Even though all of the colt’s success has been sprinting, de Gannes said before the Colin that he’s looking forward to trying Southern Exchange at longer distances.
“I don’t think sprinting is his forte,” he said. “He just happens to be that freakish that he can do it. I think his best will come when we get to stretch out in distance.”
Southern Exchange returned $2.90, $2.10, and $2.10, combining with Dryden ($3.50, $2.50) for an $8.70 exacta. Bear’s Rocket ($2.40) rounded out a $17.40 trifecta.
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient