The July 29 forum in Saratoga Springs will feature commentary by jockeys, trainers, track officials, veterinarians and others. Among those expected to attend the panel discussions, according to the state Racing and Wagering Board, are trainers Todd Pletcher Nick Zito, and Mark Casse, New York Racing Association President Charles Hayward, jockeys Edgar Prado, John Velasquez, Garrett Gomez Javier Castellano, and Alex Brown and Dr. Rick Arthur of the California Racing Board.
The forum, to begin at 9 a.m. at Fasig-Tipton’s facility in Saratoga, will be led by the New York State Task Force on Retired Racehorses, a state panel whose authority also includes considering whether to require synthetic surfaces at tracks. It is co-chaired by racing board Chairman Daniel Hogan and state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker.
“Safety is now at the forefront of issues affecting the racing industry and it is incumbent upon this task force to undertake a cost-benefit analysis to help determine if these artificial surfaces are the best and safest route for our horses and the jockeys who ride them,” Hogan said in a written statement. The all-day session will include five separate panels to consider the issue.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH