Toomey, a spokesman for NYSRWB, said June 23 that the privileges were taken away from Micallef “last week.” Toomey offered no further comment. Micallef said he had “no comment” when reached by phone June 23.
Earlier this month, Micallef and Matt Muzikar, the agent for Eibar Coa, were involved in an altercation at Belmont. Muzikar was fined $1,000 by the stewards. Micallef was not.
Micallef has had a tremendously successful career as an agent. Before becoming Garcia’s agent, he booked mounts for Shaun Bridgmohan, Mike Luzzi, and Aaron Gryder. Micallef is married to the daughter of retired trainer Pete Ferriola.
Garcia, with Micallef as his agent, won the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr.I) aboard Lahudood at Monmouth Park last October.
Through June 23, the 22-year-old Garcia was second in the Belmont Park spring/summer standings with 36 wins to Coa’s 48.
Most Popular Stories
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Multi-Breed Drug Uniformity No Easy Task
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- New Buyers Drive Up Sales at Arqana
- Charles Town Gets Dates But Awaits Contract
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia